CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

KRAKELINGEN Dutch Cookie

KRAKELINGEN
Dutch Cookie
The Netherlands sweet pretzel cookie


KRAKELINGEN

1 pound butter, softened
4 cups flour
1/2 cup water
sugar

Directions
With a pastry blender, cut and blend butter and flour. Add water a little at a time until well blended. Cover dough with saran wrap or place in a ziploc bag, removing as much air as possible.  Refrigerate overnight.  Take about 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into the size of a pencil, join ends together.  Dip both sides in granulated sugar, and lay on ungreased cookie sheet, twisting into a figure eight.  Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes or until lightly brown on the bottom.

cut and blend butter, flour and water


dough will be sticky
cover with saran wrap or place in a ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight


take 1 tablespoon of dough and roll it out about
6 to 8 inches long
(rolls out nicely on cutting board)


join both ends together


dip both sides in sugar


lay on a cookie sheet and twist into a figure eight
and bake


after baking, place on a cool flat surface


You can shape these delicate cookies into pretzels, hearts, knots or bows

This is the Netherlands sweet pretzel.  The pretzel came from Europe.  I also learned that the saying "tying the knot" came from the pretzel. 

pretzel history


While I was making this cookie, I thought about tying the knot.

You join two ends together
you cover it in sweetness
you then twist it together or knot it
and
you end up with something very delicate

My husband and I tied the knot in Hawaii

My Wooden Wedding Shoes
an engagement gift from my moeder
liefhebben
(love)

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous wedding photo! I love the woooden shoes!!! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Goodness....those look delish! I also love the wooden shoes....beautiful dress and couple fabulous couple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stumbled upon your blog, searching for a krakelingen recipe. Thank you for posting the recipe. Congratulations on your marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these must be the Dutch pretzel cookies I so love... they don't look quite the same, but I'm going to make the and see, anyway! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Tasteful Comments